Sewanee Summer Music Festival concert - July 4 celebration concert
- on 4 Jul 2014
- Guerry Auditorium
The Sewanee Summer Music Festival (SSMF) is an internationally acclaimed festival combining a month-long program for advanced music students and a professional concert series. Each summer, more than 150 aspiring young musicians from around the U.S. and abroad join with teachers, performers, and internationally recognized guest artists to create a musical community in Sewanee.
On the Faculty Artist Series lineup this summer is Copland’s Appalachian Spring, favorites by Dvorak, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, and more. The annual Hike to a Concert is a unique performance held in the breathtaking natural surroundings on Sewanee’s mountaintop campus.
Regular weekly concerts include student concerts, the Faculty Artist Series on Wednesday and Saturday evenings, and Sunday afternoon performances by the Cumberland Orchestra and the Sewanee Symphony.
Special concerts and events this summer include
- Festival Opening Concert, 7:30 p.m., Saturday, June 21
- Hike to a Concert, 6 p.m., July 11
- Documentary showing of “Béla Fleck: How to Write a Banjo Concerto,” 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 16
- Jacqueline Avent Concerto Competition, July 17
- SSMF Faculty Chamber Concert (world premiere of a work by Béla Fleck), July 19
- SSMF Finale Orchestra Concert featuring banjo virtuoso Béla Fleck, July 20